Kernel 2.4: Load average scaling to 200!

From: James Vanns
Date: Wed Sep 03 2003 - 11:21:38 EST

All,

As I am not sure whether this problem lies with the kernel core (process
scheduler, context switching etc. and all that other stuff that flies
over my head!), a scsi driver or the scsi tape driver or the 'mt'
command itself I have copied the kernel mailing list in this E-mail.

When using mt on RedHat Linux 8 running kernel 2.4.20 to fsf on an LTO
tape drive the load average soars to 100+ and denies everyone the mail
service it's used for (IMAP). I have to reboot the server as I cannot
kill mt.

Has anyone had this kind of problem before? Any ideas if this is kernel
related (sorry to waste time if you are sure it's not)? I have looked
into mt's history to find no such bug report before.

Regards

James Vanns

--
James Vanns BSc (Hons) MCP