Re: 2.6.0-test4(-mmX) via-rhine ethernet onboard C3 mini-itxdoesn't work

From: Danny ter Haar
Date: Wed Sep 03 2003 - 04:59:34 EST

Arjan van de Ven <arjanv@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>if you enable APIC (and not ACPI) then you start using a different BIOS
>table for IRQ routing. Several BIOSes have bugs in this table since it's
>not a table that is generally used by Windows on UP boxes. Saying that
>it's the kernel's fault is rather unfair; most (if not all) distros for
>example ship with APIC disabled for this reason. It's nice if it works
>for you but there's quite a few boxes out there that just can't work....
>Don't configure it if you have such a box.

I tried 2.6.0-test4-mm2 on other C3 (bought several units including for in my car ;) and that one simply froze after detecting the partiton table of the ide harddisk. adding acpi=off even made then one move again.

When confuses me if that it works with prior kernels and suddenly fails
with later/greater kernels.

Ah well, it's now better known and probably some clever individual will
eventually figure it out and post a patch ! ;-)

Danny

--
I think so Brain, but why does a forklift
have to be so big if all it does is lift forks?