Re: 2.6.0-test4-mm3

From: Valdis . Kletnieks
Date: Mon Sep 01 2003 - 18:53:42 EST

On Mon, 01 Sep 2003 22:23:30 +0200, Martin Schlemmer said:

> > + if ! $(DEPMOD) -ae -F System.map $(depmod_opts) $(KERNELRELEASE
) ; t=
> hen \
> > + echo "*** Depmod failed!!!"; \
> > + echo "*** You may need to install a current version of
module-init-to=
> ols"; \
> > + echo "*** See http://www.codemonkey.org.uk/post-hallowe
en-2.5.txt"; \
> > + exit 1; \
> > + fi \
> > + fi
> > =20
> > else # CONFIG_MODULES
>
> Hmm, this will only work with RH based systems (not using here). I
> think the best way is how Andrew did it to just warn if depmod fails.
> You may agree to disagree if need be :)

Umm.. how will this fail for *any* system that has a sane 'depmod' (sane as in
"calls exit(0) if it worked"? In this patch we never actually check the
version - we just add code that "if depmod fails during 'make install_modules',
it may be too old and give them a hint".

(Incidentally, I tested it with the RH9 depmod, the Rusty depmod, and the
Rawhide depmod - for Rusty and Rawhide it was silent, the older RH9 depmod
barfed and then gave the hint...)