Re: [RFC] extents support for EXT3

From: Alex Tomas
Date: Fri Aug 29 2003 - 13:05:41 EST

ES> Throughput 221.812 MB/sec 16 procs ext2
ES> Throughput 159.495 MB/sec 16 procs ext3-extents (definitely enabled)
ES> Throughput 147.598 MB/sec 16 procs ext3 (patched but disabled)

ES> There is an obvious improvement, but nothing near the 70+% increase
ES> you saw. Subsequent runs run anything from a little lower than above
ES> for extents to 167MB/s.

it seems one of my scsi drive is a bit broken (caching, at least).
sorry for invalid numbers. on another drive I see following:

w/o extents:
[root@zefir root]# /root/db2.sh 2 16
Throughput 119.199 MB/sec 16 procs
Throughput 106.09 MB/sec 16 procs
Average: 112.64450

with extents:
[root@zefir root]# /root/db2.sh 2 16
Throughput 156.846 MB/sec 16 procs
Throughput 170.591 MB/sec 16 procs
Average: 163.71850

so, this time improvement is about 45%

I can't explain this yet. need to be investigated carefully

ES> By the way, what's the behavior of opening an existing non-extent file
ES> and writing and reading to it while the partition is mounted with
ES> extents enabled?

those files are handled usual way