Re: We have ethtool_ops, any thoughts on miitool_ops?

From: David T Hollis
Date: Fri Aug 29 2003 - 06:48:07 EST

David S. Miller wrote:

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 10:50:17 +0200
Arjan van de Ven <arjanv@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Fri, 2003-08-29 at 04:14, David T Hollis wrote:

If a driver is converted to use ethtool_ops, it does not seem to have the ability to support mii-tool any longer. RedHat uses mii-tool to check for link before running dhclient so that you don't have to wait forever for dhclient to timeout if the connection is down (laptops, etc).

this is legacy; the road to the future for this is ethtool + the link
status change notification stuff

Besides, the original claim is false. You can still support all
the other ioctls however you want, even the MII ones, after
enabling ethtool_ops in a driver.

Thanks for the pointer. I didn't realize I could still have the old ioctl handler and just not worry about the ethool portion of it.