Re: tasklet_kill will always hang for recursive tasklets on a UP

From: Werner Almesberger
Date: Thu Aug 28 2003 - 21:23:51 EST

Juergen Quade wrote:
> useful, I still believe, it is a bug. Does anybody know, who is
> responsible for the function?

If it's not Alexey himself, I'm sure he knows who is :-)

> > > 2. we should find some means to make it usable for recursive tasklets.
> >
> > I would not say it is easy. When tasklet is enqueued on another cpu you
> > have no way to stop it unless you are in process context, where you can
> > sit and wait for completion.
>
> For sure, not easy.
> But tasklet_kill will mostly be called in process context, won't it?

Ah, a misunderstanding. You meant "can be used to kill 'recursive'
tasklets" (with "recursive" = re-schedules itself). Apparently,
Alexey understood "can be used from a tasklet".

The latter would basically mean to busy loop for the other tasklet
to be scheduled, run, and complete. Not nice.

- Werner