Re: 2.6.0-test4 shocking (HT) benchmarking (wrong logic./phys. HT CPU distinction?)

From: Andy Isaacson
Date: Tue Aug 26 2003 - 13:52:30 EST

On Tue, Aug 26, 2003, max@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> in our fine physics group we recently bought a DUAL XEON P4 2666MHz, 2GB, with
> hyper-threading support and I had the honour of making the thing work. In the
> process I also did some benchmarking using two different kernels (stock
> SuSE-8.2-Pro 2.4.20-64GB-SMP, and the latest and greatest vanilla
> 2.6.0-test4). I benchmarked
>
> [2] running time of a multi-threaded numerical simulation making extensive use
> of FFTs, using the fftw.org library.

One thing to watch out for, with fftw: I believe it will benchmark
various kernels, and decide which one to use, at run-time. If the
scheduler fools it into thinking that a particular kernel is going to
perform better, it might do the wrong thing.

Does fftw have a switch to write a debug log?

("kernel" in this context means "the small section of code used to solve
the fft", not "the OS code running in privileged mode".)

-andy