oops is when suspending ide-default driver

From: Sylvain Pasche
Date: Tue Aug 26 2003 - 10:28:43 EST

Hello,

I've got an ide cdrom on my system, which uses the ide-cd module. If I
try to suspend the system when the ide-cd module is not loaded, kernel
oopses:

[<c01f4e26>] start_request+0x11c/0x25e
[<c01f51b1>] ide_do_request+0x226/0x3f7
[<c01f59d3>] ide_do_drive_cmd+0xd1/0x126
[<c01fdd18>] generic_ide_suspend+0x82/0x8f
[<c01e7b23>] suspend_device+0x77/0xbd
[<c01e7bc4>] device_suspend+0x5b/0x76
[<c012e58c>] suspend_prepare+0x44/0x91
[<c012e654>] enter_state+0x42/0x77
[<c0124c66>] sys_reboot+0x2e0/0x33d
[<c013f7d4>] handle_mm_fault+0xd8/0x169
[<c0113f22>] do_page_fault+0x25e/0x4a4
[<c01d09d7>] write_chan+0x0/0x224
[<c01cb44f>] tty_write+0x0/0x2f2
[<c014c3cb>] vfs_write+0xba/0x10c
[<c014c4b9>] sys_write+0x3f/0x5d
[<c0113cc4>] do_page_fault+0x0/0x4a4
[<c0109117>] syscall_call+0x7/0xb

If found out with some printk that it is because the
DRIVER(drive)->start_power_step pointer is NULL is start_request when
called with the ide-default subdriver.

As soon as I load ide-cd, there's no oops anymore. I guess the fix might
be not to run the suspend stuff if the driver has no start_power_step
defined.

Regards,
Sylvain Pasche