Re: Athlon XP-M and cpufreq freezing Asus laptop to death

From: Ducrot Bruno
Date: Mon Aug 25 2003 - 02:11:17 EST

On Sun, Aug 24, 2003 at 06:48:29PM +0200, Daniele Venzano wrote:
> I don't know if I'm hunting a bug or I have to add support for my
> hardware somewhere.
> I succeded in making C2 work adjusting the DSDT table, I'm uploading the
> new one on acpi.sf.net under Asus/L3100D
>
> Now for cpufreq: I'm using the powernow-k7 driver, since the acpi
> P-state is not supported.
> Whenever I try to change the governor by echoing "powersave" in
> /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor everything stops
> and a hard reset is required. It seemes to fall in some tight loop since
> after a few seconds the fan goes on as if there is heavy processor
> usage.
>
> With some printk I have verified that it halts inside wrmsrl() at line
> 199, file powernow-k7.c (2.6.0-test4).
> The call trace is:
> powernow_target/change_speed/change_FID/wrmsrl
>
> For what is my knowledge (very, very little) the frequency passed to
> powernow_target is right, but I can't say nothing on all other
> parameters...

This is a known issue (at least for me :). When the difference
between 2 vid and/or 2 fid are too big, that hang.

For now, as a quick (and mostly dirty though) solution is to go
with the userspace governor only and to go to the lowest frequency with
one or two step in-between.

I'm also wondering if those athlons have the same kind of stuff than
the opteron (Dave)?

Cheers,

--
Ducrot Bruno