Auto Module Loading Question

From: Behdad Esfahbod
Date: Fri Aug 15 2003 - 14:09:04 EST

Hi,

It is off-topic, but I couldn't find the answer by Googling.
I have installed 2.6.0-test2 and module-init-tools-0.9.13-pre2 on
my RedHat 9 system.

Now I have two problem: First one is that mount does not load
needed modules automatically, so refuses to mount if the module
for the filesystem is not loaded. When I load it and retry, it
mounts.

The other problem is that, in the old era, I would simply put a
line of 'alias char-major-10-144 nvram' in my /etc/modules.conf,
and reading from /dev/nvram would load the module and work. Now
there is a line for that in auto-generated /etc/modprobe.conf,
but 'cat /dev/nvram' errs:

cat: /dev/nvram: No such device

The same problem is with some other modules, including loop. But
some drivers, like rtc and cdrom have been loaded themselves.

Help is welcome,
behdad

PS. Please keep me CCed

--
Behdad Esfahbod 24 Mordad 1382, 2003 Aug 15
http://behdad.org/ [Finger for Geek Code]

If you do a job too well, you'll get stuck with it.