Re: nforce2 lockups

From: Clock
Date: Fri Aug 15 2003 - 12:11:47 EST

On Fri, Aug 15, 2003 at 05:38:08PM +0100, Alistair J Strachan wrote:
> On Friday 15 August 2003 16:15, Clock wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 15, 2003 at 09:12:17PM +0900, kenton.groombridge@xxxxxxxxxxx
> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I found your post looking for a solution to my lockups. I bet if you do
> > > a dmesg, you will find that your nforce2 chipset revision is 162.
> >
> > Yeah! Look:
> >
> > NFORCE2: chipset revision 162
>
> [alistair] 05:37 PM [~] dmesg | grep "NFORCE2: chipset"
> NFORCE2: chipset revision 162
>
> A quick google for "NFORCE2: chipset revision" reveals no chipset revision
> dmesg except 162. It seems likely most manufactures are using the same
> revision.
>
> I use APIC and ACPI on my EPoX 8RDA+, and I've never had any IO problems. So
> it seems unlikely that it is tied to a chipset revision.

I have had three boards with nforce2 replaced (all of them Soltek SL75FRN2-L)
and all three did the same. However it seemed the frequency of the crashes
varies with actual piece of board.

The crashes aren't in software - bare 'cat /dev/hda > /dev/null' is
often to lock up the machine to the point that poweroff fails.

Cl<