Re: Interesting VM feature?

From: jlnance
Date: Fri Aug 15 2003 - 07:43:09 EST

On Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 09:17:07PM -0500, mouschi@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> What this mempool wants to do is to be able to
> allocate a block of memory and tell the kernel which
> pages from it can be outright discarded, instead of
> swapped out when memory starts to get crowded.

I think you might be able to get what you want with madvise() or perhaps
by mmap()ing new clean pages on top of the pages you want to throw away.

> I'm going to keep reading. If this is already
> implemented, or if the efficiency gains would be
> nil, somebody yell at me before I start crashing my

I would not implement this unless you either know you have a problem
with your mempool swap speed or you are bored. I doubt it is going
to help a lot, and it will certainly simplify your code to leave it
out. If you later find that you have performance problems you can
look into this again.

Thanks,

Jim