RE: generic strncpy - off-by-one error

From: Peter Kjellerstedt
Date: Fri Aug 15 2003 - 05:04:46 EST

I do not know if this will give you anything, but here is
the disassembled CRIS version of your first while loop
(note that the branch instructions have one delay slot,
and that dest, src and count are in $r10, $r11 and $r12):

while (count && *src)
805d8: 6cc6 test.d $r12
805da: 1830 beq 805f4
805dc: 6a96 move.d $r10,$r9
805de: 8b0b test.b [$r11]
805e0: 1230 beq 805f4
805e2: 0f05 nop
{
count--;
805e4: 81c2 subq 1,$r12
*tmp++ = *src++;
805e6: 4bde move.b [$r11+],$r13
805e8: 6cc6 test.d $r12
805ea: 0830 beq 805f4
805ec: c9df move.b $r13,[$r9+]
805ee: 8b0b test.b [$r11]
805f0: f320 bne 805e4
805f2: 0f05 nop
}

And here is my first while loop:

while (count)
8062c: 6cc6 test.d $r12
8062e: 1030 beq 80640
80630: 6a96 move.d $r10,$r9
{
count--;
if (!(*tmp++ = *src++))
80632: 4bde move.b [$r11+],$r13
80634: c9db move.b $r13,[$r9]
80636: 890f test.b [$r9+]
80638: 0630 beq 80640
8063a: 81c2 subq 1,$r12
break;
8063c: f520 bne 80632
8063e: 0f05 nop
}

> > Also note that your version
> > of the second loop needs an explicit comparison with -1,
> > whereas mine uses an implicit comparison with 0.
>
> I don't understand why you say I need an explicit comparison
> with -1. My first loop exits either with the number of bytes
> remaining in the buffer or with zero if it's copied count
> number of bytes.

I was talking about the second loop. The object code the compiler
produces for your version actually tests the count variable after
it decreases it, which is why it tests for -1.

> The second loop WOULD require a comparison with -1 IF the
> "count--" were not inside of the loop body. As it IS in the
> loop body, there is no need for that. My second loop has an
> implicit comparison against zero.

Hmm, your second loop from above looks like:

while (n--) {
*s++ = 0;
}

whereas mine looks like:

while (count) {
*tmp++ = '\0';
count--;
}

You seem to be referring to my version, where what you say is true.

> > Testing on the CRIS architecture, your version is 24 instructions,
> > whereas mine is 18. For comparison, Eric's one is 12 and the
> > currently used implementation is 26 (when corrected for the
> > off-by-one error by comparing with > 1 rather than != 0 in the
> > second loop).
>
> If I understand it correctly, the corrected original needs
> that explicit comparison because the decrement is in the loop
> conditional. My implementation (and yours) corrects this by
> moving the decrement into the body of the loop.
>
> Also, while instruction count is sometimes a good indication of
> algorithm efficiency, I would argue that our two-loop version is
> probably the same speed as the single-loop version for copying
> characters, but ours is faster for zeroing the rest of the
> target buffer.

Seems to be the case, yes.

> > Here is another version that I think is quite pleasing
> > aesthetically (YMMV) since the loops are so similar (it is 21
> > instructions on CRIS):
> >
> > char *strncpy(char *dest, const char *src, size_t count)
> > {
> > char *tmp = dest;
> >
> > for (; count && *src; count--)
> > *tmp++ = *src++;
> >
> > for (; count; count--)
> > *tmp++ = '\0';
> >
> > return dest;
> > }
>
> I agree that this is definately a more elegant look to the
> code, and I would prefer what you have done here. But what
> puzzles me is that this is functionally and logically
> equivalent to my code.
>
> So, this code:
>
> for (A; B; C) {}
>
> is the same as this:
>
> A;
> while (B) {
> C;
> }
>

> So why is it that this mere syntactic difference causes the
> compiler to produce a better result?

I wish I new. Actually in the CRIS case, it seems to be an
optimizer thing. If I change your first loop from

while (n && *s2) {
n--;
}

while (n && *s2) {
n--;
}

it gives the expected object code, i.e., the same as my
first for loop. So here is a modified version of your
code that gives exactly the same object code (for CRIS)
as my version with the for loops: