Re: High CPU load with kswapd and heavy disk I/O

From: Nuno Silva
Date: Wed Aug 13 2003 - 10:43:26 EST

Hi!

Ken Savage wrote:
On Tue August 12 2003 16:49, Nuno Silva wrote:

My guess is that this is the cause. LOWMEM pressure because of very
large directories... Relating to this, linux-2.6.0-test3-mm1 has Ingo's
4G/4G memory split. Can you try this kernel, enable 4G/4G feature, and
report back?

Something about the 2.6 (and the rmap patched 2.4) kernels causes
lockouts on the server -- for reasons OTHER than kswapd. The server

If you want to help, you could try to gather more info on that to help develope a better 2.6 ;)

FWIW, 2.6.0-test* with mm patches works well here... At least in a few boxes.

running the delete-old-files process runs hundreds of other CPU and disk
I/O intensive processes/threads, and it doesn't look like 2.6 is yet able
to handle the load. Unfortunately, the server is a production environment
machine at a remote site, so lockouts/reboots/kernel panics are baaaad :(

I've seen other mentions of kswapd/kupdated problems in 2.4.xx, but
few mentions of solutions. Have people just learned to avoid the
situations that trigger the mad thrashes?

If you're sure that it's really kswapd you can send SIGSTOP and SIGCONT to kswapd's pid. Kswapd will honor those signals.

killall -STOP kswapd
<run your I/O intensive scripts>
killall -CONT kswapd

Sometimes I do this... For me it works well. If this makes your machine crash or loose data, don't blame me! ;)

Regards,
Nuno Silva

Ken