Re: SOLUTION Re: 2.6.0-test3 cannot mount root fs

From: Christian Mautner
Date: Wed Aug 13 2003 - 08:29:57 EST

On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 08:15:46AM +0200, Norbert Preining wrote:
> On Die, 12 Aug 2003, Christian Mautner wrote:
> > Hast du auch einen kompletten Kernel tarball versucht? Wahrscheinlich
>
> The solution is:
> Get a COMPLETE linux-2.6.0-test3.tar.bz2
> and
> DO NOT USE patch

I'm pretty sure the problem is related to the file
usr/initramfs_data.S. This file is automatically created by the
usr/Makefile, but not deleted by mrproper or distclean (in -test1).

See l-k thread "remove initramfs temp files" of Aug 8.

The patch to -test2 contained the file usr/initramfs_data.S, and the
patch process fails since it's trying to create it. I ended up
accidently with garbage in usr/initramfs_data.S, to the effect that
the symbol .init.ramfs was empty (could be told from System.map),
which in turn had the effect that in init/initramfs.c the function
unpack_to_rootfs() was called with a length of 0 (&__initramfs_end ==
&__initramfs_start), which in turn prevented this very initial root
file system which is needed to mount root.

A warning message in unpack_to_rootfs() if it is called with a length
of 0 would have been very helpful.

Having make distclean remove initramfs_data.S would be very good
practice as well.

chm.

--
christian mautner -- chm bei istop punkt com -- ottawa, canada