Re: 2.4.22 APM problems with IBM Thinkpad's

From: Mikael Pettersson
Date: Wed Aug 13 2003 - 08:17:55 EST

Ruben Puettmann writes:

> hy,
>
> cause many problems with acpi I try to get apm running on my ibm
> thinkpad R40 ( 2722). But with 2.4.22-pre10 and 2.4.22-pre10-ac1.
>
> Problems which happend:
>
> apm -s don't work with radeonfb usb and so on see my mails on lkm the
> last days
>
> If CONFIG_APM_DISPLAY_BLANK is Y the thinkpad freezed on blanking the
> display

This sounds like a well-known APM/local-APIC clash.

Never ever use DISPLAY_BLANK if you also have SMP or UP_APIC.

With APIC support enabled (SMP or UP_APIC), APM must be constrained:
DISPLAY_BLANK off
CPU_IDLE off
built-in driver, not module

This is because the apm driver does BIOS calls, and many BIOSen
(including the code in graphics cards, e.g. all Radeons it seems)
like to hang if a local APIC timer interrupt arrives.