Re: KDB in the mainstream 2.4.x kernels?

From: Martin Pool
Date: Tue Aug 12 2003 - 23:45:01 EST

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 22:43:57 +0200, Andi Kleen wrote:

> KDB is usually not useful for debugging hangs on desktop boxes (and even
> many servers) because you have usually X running. When the machine crashes
> and goes in KDB you cannot see the text output and debug anything. I
> learned to type "go<return>" blind when I had still an KDB aware kernel,
> but it's not very useful overall.

Perhaps in the case where the console is on a vt, kdb could try to
switch to the right vc before presenting its prompt? I realize calling into
the vc code might be risky but it seems like there's not much to lose.
(If you do have a bug in say the agp driver then you need a serial
console...) If it works, you'll be able to debug and continue.

It could even set the colors to white on blue. :-)

--
Martin