Re: 2.6.0-test2 does not boot with matroxfb

From: Petr Vandrovec
Date: Mon Aug 11 2003 - 14:25:55 EST

On 11 Aug 03 at 21:00, Jocelyn Mayer wrote:
> > On Mon, 2003-08-11 at 20:29, Petr Vandrovec wrote:
> > On 11 Aug 03 at 20:01, Jocelyn Mayer wrote:
> > > I now run a VGA console kernel without agpgart with a 16bps X.
> > >
> > > So, there seems to be two issues:
> > > - broken matrox fb: I lose the synchro when switching from X to fb.
> > > fbset configuration is lost when switching consoles.
> >
> > It is feature, not a bug. fbset does not work on 2.6.x kernels
> > anymore. Apply
> > ftp://platan.vc.cvut.cz/pub/linux/matrox-latest/matroxfb-2.6.0-t3-c1149.gz
> > if you prefer 2.4.x behavior.
> >
> In fact, it works untill I switch to another console...
> What is the right way to change the console configuration at run-time,
> now ? Or where should I look for this info ?
> Did it become impossible (would be a severe bug, at least for me...) ?

"stty cols XXX rows YYY" sets size. How you'll set pixclock, color depth
or other features is unknown to me - I use my patch above and others
should ask James Simmons...

> > Also if you are using DRI, even latest XFree mga driver I found still
> > reprograms hardware even if XFree server is not on a foreground, so you
> > must use same color depth and vxres for both X and console, and even in
> > this configuration display corruption on console may occur from time to
> > time...
> > Petr Vandrovec
> >
> OK, you confirm exactly the symptom I have seen.
> So it seems to be an X driver problem...
> But X is still buggy when it doesn't use DRI,
> at least in 32 bits modes. I know it's quite certain that it's an X bug,
> but I really would like to understand why it works with 2.4 kernels
> and not with 2.6 ones. The X problem is there even if I use the VGA
> console (I mean with a kernel with fb support _not_ activated).

In 2.4.x kernels dri refused to work on couple of systems I have, while
in 2.6.x it is willing to work even on more systems - if we are talking
about console.

I do not know why you have problems with X - 2.6.0-test3-bk-current
works for me with G200, G450 and G550 with Debian's unstable XFree,
(16/16bpp on G550 system and 24/32bpp on others).
Petr