2.6.0-test3 anticipatory scheduler comment

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Mon Aug 11 2003 - 00:51:45 EST

Greetings;

I am running 2.6.0-test3 ATM, and amanda was fired off at 00:30 as
usual.

Typically the estimate phase will be completed, and a dump of
something begun somewhere around 27-30 minutes into the run.

I don't think the scheduler is giving amanda near enough time, gkrellm
says the cpu is 95% nice, meaning the setiathome is still getting its
normal time slices. Its now 1:06 into the run, and still getting
estimates. Way too slow. At 1:14, I reniced the amanda processes to
-10, and I can see a slight hit in the seti usage. At 1:19 into the
run, its actually starting dumps with tar.

The system is quite responsive, whereas if I was running 2.4.22-rc2,
some of the things amanda would do would have me looking at a blank
line not showing what I just typed until 10 to 20 seconds after I'd
typed it. So that parts nice but it needs to borrow time from seti,
already running at a nice of 20, not amanda and its sub processes
running at 0.

Is there something I can set in /proc that would effect this?

--
Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M