Re: usb driver problem when suspending from acpid

From: Nigel Cunningham
Date: Sun Aug 10 2003 - 14:44:02 EST

Hi.

Since you're talking swsusp for 2.4 kernels, this message should go to
the swsusp-devel list. (Added in this reply). Some of the guys there use
usb more than I do, so you might get a useful reply when they see this.

Regards,

Nigel

On Sun, 2003-08-10 at 21:26, Micha Feigin wrote:
> I am running a 2.4.21 kernel with acpi + swsusp patches (had the same
> behavior with swsusp 1.0.* and 1.1-rc)
>
> When calling the hibernation script that appears on the swsusp site to
> unload all modules and services and then suspend to disk (S4) from the
> command line (anywhere: xterm, console whatever) everything works fine.
> When calling the script from acpid in response to the power button being
> pressed, the script locks on the second suspend attempt when trying to
> unload the usbcore module (rmmod never returns and can't be killed using
> kill -9, presumably since its stuck on a system call)
>
> I have tracked the lock point to thefile drivers/usb/hub.c. The
> offending function is usb_hub_cleanup which locks up on the call to
> wait_for_completion(&khubd_exited);
>
> I don't know if this could be related, but when calling the script with
> --verbose option it also fails since it can't find a tty to print the
> errors to. It tries to open /dev/tty<something> and fails, although I am
> not sure what the difference is since the script switches away from X
> when it starts.
> I have made a few attempts at the kernel source but couldn't solve the
> problem.
>

> -
Nigel Cunningham
495 St Georges Road South, Hastings 4201, New Zealand

You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless,
Christ died for the ungodly.
-- Romans 5:6, NIV.