Re: [2.6.0-test3] Hyperthreading gone

From: Greg Norris
Date: Sun Aug 10 2003 - 07:04:49 EST

On Sun, Aug 10, 2003 at 09:03:42AM +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
> I didn't. Previous experience (with some 2.5.x versions) indicates
> that Linux does not support full ACPI on this machine. The
> documentation suggests that the command line option enables full ACPI,
> so I hesitate to do this.

According to the 2.6.0-test3 menuconfig help text, the parameter is
required when CPU Enumeration Only is selected, and enables only
limited ACPI support. For whatever it's worth, that matches my
experience.

CONFIG_ACPI_HT_ONLY:

This option enables limited ACPI support -- just enough to
enumerate processors from the ACPI Multiple APIC Description
Table (MADT). Note that ACPI supports both logical (e.g. Hyper-
Threading) and physical processors, where the MultiProcessor
Specification (MPS) table only supports physical processors.

Full ACPI support (CONFIG_ACPI) is preferred. Use this option
only if you wish to limit ACPI's role to processor enumeration.

In this configuration, ACPI defaults to off. It must be enabled
on the command-line with the "acpismp=force" option.