Re: FS Corruption with VIA MVP3 + UDMA/DMA

From: Wes Janzen
Date: Sat Aug 09 2003 - 07:23:59 EST

I seemed to get a skeptical reaction when I originally posted this to the list, however, just google for "mvp3 corrupt dma mode" to confirm. I don't know that it takes to hit this error, but it's very easy to reproduce on my machine. Some links only mention UDMA, but all DMA modes are affected on my board. I couldn't even burn a CD over 12X without running into this issue. There I thought it was bad media, but after burning 11 CD's at 32X with the PDC20269 (rather than the native IDE) and not encountering any errors using the same batch of media and writer, the culprit is clear.

I don't know why I didn't google for this in the first place, but it looks like it is a known issue. Just apparently not well-known.

Probably not especially important though, I wonder just how many people are still running this setup... With Linux, I'd say even fewer.