Re: 2.6.0-test2 does not boot with matroxfb

From: Petr Vandrovec
Date: Fri Aug 08 2003 - 11:21:24 EST

On 8 Aug 03 at 17:45, Juergen Rose wrote:
> I tried on my PC with a Matrox-G450 several kernel and boot options.
> Every time when the console should work with matrox framebuffer, linux
> was crashed. With 2.6.0-test2 and 2.6.0-test2-bk7 I had the following
> warning performing ''make modules_install''
> WARNING:
> /lib/modules/2.6.0-test2[-bk7]/kernel/drivers/video/matrox/matroxfb_crtc2.ko
> needs unknown symbol matroxfb_enable_irq This WARNING disapears for

I'm not able to get through Linus's mail filters for past three weeks.

> 2.4.22-pre6-ac1 | | |
> CONFIG_FB=y | VGA=6 | VGA=775 | vesa:0x31C
> CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT=y | | |
> ----------------------------+---------+---------------+---------------
> 2.6.0-test2 | |crashes |crashes
> CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE=y| VGA=6 |after |after
> CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT=y | |BIOS DATA CHECK|BIOS DATA CHECK

What means this? No useful data here... Oopses? Reboot?
Endless loop? And did you built vgacon into the kernel? And I'm
not sure that 2.6.0 can have both vesafb & matroxfb compiled in (well,
you can compile in both, but I'm not sure what happens).

And from your message above it looks like that you are building some
vital matroxfb portions as a module. Please build them into the kernel
unless you are really sure that you do not want console on them - while
2.4.x's console could use modular fbdevs, 2.6.x's console subsytem
cannot do that.

You can also try ftp://platan.vc.cvut.cz/pub/linux/matrox-latest/matroxfb-2.5.72.gz
(if 2.6.0-test2-mm5 does not complain about unexported matrox_*_irq
it will probably not apply cleanly to it). It restores fbcon subsystem
to the 2.4.x's version.
Petr