Re: IDE DMA problem with 2.6.0-test1

From: Wes Janzen
Date: Fri Aug 08 2003 - 05:31:52 EST

I don't know, I've had a few SMART capable Maxtor drives go bad to the point I knew it without a warning. Eventually, when things got really bad though, they would report SMART errors. The errors were at first intermittent, and then got to the point the warning wouldn't go away. In their defense, two of them (I've had 5) had smart errors and I never encountered any noticeable defects (still, I replaced them when they were doing the upgrade program so I could get a new 3 year warranty).

All of those are several generations old though, the newer ones I have now don't seem to want to die ;-)

--Wes--

Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:

Can be buggy drive's firmware or bug in smartmontools (unlikely)...

--bartlomiej