Re: Add identify decoding 4/4

From: Horst von Brand (vonbrand@inf.utfsm.cl)
Date: Thu Aug 07 2003 - 17:11:03 EST

Andries.Brouwer@cwi.nl writes:
> > I know full well _why_ the big function is in the header;
> > that doesn't address my point: we don't need to be putting
> > big functions in header files. That's why libraries were invented
>
> Well. I chose the most elegant solution I saw.
>
> If you see a better solution, I would like to see it.
> Note that local symbols in several files determine
> whether this function should be compiled or not.

Then the proposed solution won't work either...

Just do an xyz.h:

#ifdef NEED_BIG_UGLY_FUNC
/* Prototype, gets pulled in when called */
void big_ugly_func(int this, void *that);
#else
/* Inline definition, gets nuked */
static inline void big_ugly_func(int this, void *that) {}
#endif

while xyz.c goes into a library (*.a) with the full definition. Gets
compiled, but not linked in.

What is wrong with that?