Re: Interactivity improvements

From: Mike Fedyk (mfedyk@matchmail.com)
Date: Wed Aug 06 2003 - 14:01:42 EST

On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 02:48:11PM -0400, Timothy Miller wrote:
> The idea I'm proposing, however poorly formed, is that if we allow some
> "excessive" oscillation early on in the life of a process, we may be
> able to more quickly get processes to NEAR its correct priority, OR get
> its CPU time over the course of three times being run for the
> underdamped case to be about the same as it would be if we knew in
> advance what the priority should be. But in the underdamped case, the
> priority would continue to oscillate up and down around the correct
> level, because we are intentionally overshooting the mark each time we
> adjust priority.
>
> This may not be related, but something that pops into my mind is a
> numerical method called Newton's Method. It's a way to solve for roots
> of an equation, and it involved derivatives, and I don't quite remember
> how it works. But in any event, the results are less accurate than,
> say, bisection, but you get to the answer MUCH more quickly.

Sounds interesting.

Much like a decaying average, or average over the entire lifetime of the
process which can be weighed into the short term interactivity calculations
also.

I think Con is working on something like this already, except that it's
taking the short term into account more than the long term.