Kernel Panic on 2.6 and Dual AMD Athlon MP

From: Jason Williams (jwilliams@project-lace.org)
Date: Wed Aug 06 2003 - 13:19:31 EST

I downloaded 2.6.0-test2 to see if I could get it running on my dual
Athlon MP box (which runs 2.4 series just wonderfully). I have a Tyan
S2466 motherboard which runs the AMD 760 MPX chipset. 2.6.0-test2
compiles just fine, but when I go to run it, I get the output detailed
in the attachment kp-2.6 to this message. Please note, I had to copy
this by hand since I couldn't get any serial output from the machine.
In short, I get a machine check execption and the kernel panics saying
the CPU context is corrupt.

So I got the neat little parsemce program by Dave Jones and the output
from that is in the attachment mce-output also attached to this message.
(If they don't come through correctly, let me know and I can forward
them to the necessary people.)

I need someone to help me to understand why this is happening with the
2.6 kernel. And what direction I might be able to take to try to get
the 2.6 kernel to run. Also, I had previously tried 2.5.70 and this
didn't happen.

--
Jason Williams
Project-Lace.org

There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand
binary, and those who don't

./parsemce -e 0000000000000004 -b 0 -s f601a00000000833 -a 00000000000e4040

Status: (4) Machine Check in progress. Restart IP invalid. parsebank(0): f601a00000000833 @ e4040 External tag parity error Uncorrectable ECC error CPU state corrupt. Restart not possible Address in addr register valid Error enabled in control register Error not corrected. Error overflow Bus and interconnect error Participation: Local processor originated request Timeout: Request did not timeout Request: Generic error Transaction type : Instruction Memory/IO : Other