Re: 2.5/2.6 PCMCIA Issues

From: Misha Nasledov (misha@nasledov.com)
Date: Tue Aug 05 2003 - 23:56:27 EST

On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 02:44:53PM +0100, Russell King wrote:
> Explain this further. If you're saying that, when you removed the Orinoco
> card, that the eth interface remained (as shown by iwconfig and ifconfig)
> and the module use count didn't drop to zero, this isn't a PCMCIA problem.
> It's a problem somewhere in the hotplug / network scripts failing to take
> the interface down.

I don't believe the ethernet interface remained, but the module use
count definitely did not drop to zero. I suppose it's possible it's an
issue with the scripts, but the same scripts work perfectly under
2.4.21, which is what I primarily use on my laptop.

> What type of console? Standard VT or under X11?

This was under the Linux framebuffer; inserting the card was the first
thing I did after it displayed the login prompt.

> The boot time kernel messages would be useful to see for 2.6.0-test2,
> including those issued by PCMCIA when the modules are loaded.

I am attaching the dmesg output after booting 2.6.0-test2; this does
not include the insertion of the Orinoco card as the console freezes
immediately after the event. I inspected my logs after a reboot and
there were no messages whatsoever regarding the event of the insertion
of the Orinoco card.

--
Misha Nasledov
misha@nasledov.com