Re: Will kernel compiled for PentiumII run on IBM 6x86MX?

From: Måns Rullgård (mru@users.sourceforge.net)
Date: Tue Aug 05 2003 - 07:48:51 EST

Asfand Yar Qazi <email@asfandyar.cjb.net> writes:

> Read somewhere that the 6x86MX is PentiumII code compatible, but these
> processors are listed as two separate options under the kernel config
> (2.4.21)
>
> Will a kernel/apps compiled for PII run on a 6x86MX?

I don't know the details in this particular case. However, even if
two CPUs are object code compatible, it doesn't mean that instruction
scheduling, caching and such things behave the same way. Code
optimized for one CPU might not be optimal for another, even if it
runs.

--
Måns Rullgård
mru@users.sf.net