Re: IDE DMA disabled messages for wrong drive?

From: Roger Luethi (rl@hellgate.ch)
Date: Fri Jul 25 2003 - 06:19:26 EST

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 20:36:14 +0300, Meelis Roos wrote:
> I access hdd, I get DMA timeouts for hdd (for whatever reasons), then
> suddenly comes a message that DMA is disabled for hdc (not hdd). hdc
> was not accessed at all suring this time - it's a cdrom and no CD was
> inserted and no CD access was tried.

I have seen this, too, with two harddisks (hda, hdb) on a recent 2.5
kernel: warnings about DMA timeouts on one of them, immediately followed by
a message about turning off DMA on the other one. I had to replace one of
the disks subsequently and lost the logs, but I remember wondering about
that. I supposed the kernel might have some reason to blame the hard disk
without warnings (both harddisks seemed rather suspicious at the time).

Roger