Re: [OT] HURD vs Linux/HURD

From: Gaël Le Mignot (kilobug@freesurf.fr)
Date: Sat Jul 19 2003 - 12:46:54 EST

Hello Larry!

Sat, 19 Jul 2003 10:23:11 -0700, you wrote:

>> - GNU/Hurd, the whole systems, is actually GNU tools (libc, linker,
>> ...) on top of the GNU Hurd (set of servers) and the GNU Mach
>> microkernel.

> Mach wasn't written by GNU, it's a BSD based kernel

Totally wrong. You're confusing the Mach operating system (with UX, a
BSD-server on top of the Mach micro-kernel) and the Mach micro-kernel
itself.

> pried apart into chunks by people at CMU.

GNU Mach is a modified version of OSF Mach which is modified version
of CMU Mach.

> Drivers and networking account for about 50% of the total lines of code.
> The bulk of the work in any operating system is typically drivers. The
> generic part of Linux (non-driver, non-file system) is tiny compared to
> the rest.

Maybe for you, an OS is drivers. For me, it's a design, an
architecture, a philosophy, and a way to defend a value that is not
important for you: Freedom.

> If the Hurd gets its drivers from Linux then it should rightfully be called
> Linux/HURD (or Linux/HURD/GNU).

Stop trolling, thank you.

--
Gael Le Mignot "Kilobug" - kilobug@nerim.net - http://kilobug.free.fr
GSM         : 06.71.47.18.22 (in France)   ICQ UIN   : 7299959

Member of HurdFr: http://hurdfr.org - The GNU Hurd: http://hurd.gnu.org - To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/