Re: 2.5 'what to expect'

From: Kevin Corry (kevcorry@us.ibm.com)
Date: Tue Jul 15 2003 - 16:14:31 EST

On Tuesday 15 July 2003 12:08, Andries Brouwer wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 14, 2003 at 05:03:31PM -0700, Mike Fedyk wrote:
> > So, will the DOS partition make it up to 2TB? If so, then we won't have
> > a problem until we have larger than 2TB drives
>
> Yes, DOS partition table works up to 2^32 sectors, and with
> 2^9-byte sectors that is 2 TiB.
>
> People are encountering that limit already. We need something
> better, either use some existing scheme, or invent something.
>
> Andries

I would suggest the GPT format. It was originally designed for use with the
IA-64 EFI firmware, but works just fine on any other architecture. It's
64-bit, so no 2 TB limitations. It also avoids the primary vs. extended vs.
logical partition weirdness that DOS has.

--
Kevin Corry
kevcorry@us.ibm.com