RE: ACPI patches updated (20030714)

From: Mikael Pettersson (mikpe@csd.uu.se)
Date: Tue Jul 15 2003 - 13:49:29 EST

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 11:07:29 -0700, "Brown, Len" wrote:
>Ps. Below is the current plan for ACPI build and boot knobs. Except for the
>config syntax -- 2.4 and 2.5 should end up the same. Let me know if we
>missed anything.
>
>Audit of ACPI build and boot options
>Scrubbed w/ Andy 7/10 -- see TODO for Lenb's plan
>

>Build Options
>-------------
>Indentation shows dependency (from acpi/Kconfig, Makefile)
>
>CONFIG_ACPI_HT_ONLY
> depends on X86 && ACPI && X86_LOCAL_APIC
> := acpitable.o
>
> TODO: simplify acpitable.c to only to LAPIC enumeration for HT
> It probably shouldn't parse the non-LAPIC MADT entries

I would like to see HT_ONLY generalized to parsing the MADT for
I/O-APICs. The problem I have is that some mainboards, like my
i850 ASUS P4T-E, have I/O-APICs but no MP tables. The only way for
the Linux kernel to discover the I/O-APICs on these mainboard is
through MADT parsing.

However, this currently requires me to enable all of ACPI, which
I don't need or want for many reasons, including code bloat and
behavioural side-effects.

Replacing "HT_ONLY" with "MADT_PARSING_ONLY" would be ideal, IMO.

/Mikael