Re: 'NFS stale file handle' with 2.5

From: Jeff Lightfoot (jeffml@pobox.com)
Date: Sat Jul 12 2003 - 20:25:43 EST

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 13:05:13 -0700
j.dittmer@portrix.net (Jan Dittmer) wrote:

> I'm experiencing really big problems with nfs on 2.5 - and I'm a bit
> stuck debugging.

I'm going to throw in a 'me too' on this one also. I haven't done
much to narrow it down because at first I thought I fixed it by using
the same kernel version on both client and server. Once the stale
file handle errors started showing up again I noticed that Trond
mentioned on LK the problem with soft versus hard. So I figured some
changes in the NFS code finally caused soft mounts to not work so
well.

I changed over to hard,intr but the stale file handles have shown up
again. It looks like it might be something that shows up over time
because it works fine for awhile after reboots but eventually
starts giving errors.

UP for both, 2.5.75-mm1

I'm willing to help debug also.

> # grep NFS .config
> CONFIG_NFS_FS=m
> CONFIG_NFS_V3=y
> CONFIG_NFS_V4=y
> CONFIG_NFS_DIRECTIO=y
> CONFIG_NFSD=m
> CONFIG_NFSD_V3=y
> CONFIG_NFSD_V4=y
> CONFIG_NFSD_TCP=y

Just in case this will help: (server and client)

CONFIG_NFS_FS=y
CONFIG_NFS_V3=y
# CONFIG_NFS_V4 is not set
CONFIG_NFS_DIRECTIO=y
CONFIG_NFSD=y
CONFIG_NFSD_V3=y
# CONFIG_NFSD_V4 is not set
# CONFIG_NFSD_TCP is not set

--
Jeff Lightfoot    --    jeffml@pobox.com    --    http://thefoots.com/
    "I see the light at the end of the tunnel now ... someone please