APIC & ACPI on EPoX 8RDA+ (nForce 2)

From: Alistair J Strachan (alistair@devzero.co.uk)
Date: Sat Jul 12 2003 - 11:21:05 EST

Hi,

A recent 2.5 kernel compiled with local and IO APIC support fails to boot on
an EPoX 8RDA+ (nForce2) mainboard. It does not make any difference whether
ACPI is enabled or disabled. Has anybody else had problems with this board
and APIC? I've fiddled in the BIOS, but only disabling the BIOS APIC allows
me to boot 2.5.75-mm1 (or, clearly, not compiling in APIC support).

The second (unrelated) issue is that if I allow the ACPI in 2.5 to control PCI
routing, I observe loads of IRQ dropouts on the USB 1.1 and USB 2 IRQs (5,
10, and 11 respectively). The number of interrupts shown in /proc/interrupts
is an unrealistic constant for the IRQs and the devices (USB) are not
initialised.

irq 5: nobody cared!
irq 10: nobody cared!
irq 11: nobody cared!
etc.

Not compiing in ACPI support fixes it, but I also discovered that passing in
pci=noacpi allows the USB devices to initialise and everything works just
fine. I don't get the "nobody cared" messages if pci=noacpi is added to the
cmdline.

Are both of these known issues with the EPoX 8RDA+ mainboard? I've got the
BIOS from the June 9th 2003, "06/09/2003", which I believe is the latest.

TIA,
Alistair.