Re: memset (was: Redundant memset in AIO read_events)

From: Arjan van de Ven (arjanv@redhat.com)
Date: Thu Jul 10 2003 - 05:19:21 EST

On Thu, 2003-07-10 at 12:04, Etienne Lorrain wrote:
> Note that using memset() is better reserved to initialise variable-size
> structures or buffers. Even if memset() is extremely optimised,
> it is still not as fast as not doing anything.

this is not always true....
memset can be used as an optimized cache-warmup, which can avoid the
write-allocate behavior of normal writes, which means that if you memset
a structure first and then fill it, it can be halve the memory bandwidth
and thus half as fast. This assumes an optimized memset which we
*currently* don't have I think... but well, we can fix that ;)