Re: 2.5.73 on alpha/smp build failure

From: Oleg Drokin (green@namesys.com)
Date: Mon Jun 30 2003 - 00:42:59 EST

Hello!

On Sun, Jun 29, 2003 at 03:56:16PM +0400, Ivan Kokshaysky wrote:

> > When I compile the kernel the alpha itself (tried shipped suse 8.1 gcc 3.2.2
> > and self-compiled gcc 2.95.3), it jumps to the address zero quickly after
> > launching init and panics.
> Most likely it's binutils problem. Versions 2.13.90.0.18 and newer
> should be OK, as discussed recently on l-k.

I have :
$ alphaev56-unknown-linux-gnu-size -V
GNU size 2.14 20030612
This program is free software; you may redistribute it under the terms of
the GNU General Public License. This program has absolutely no warranty.

Also I tried to compare assembly output of native vs crosscompiler and have found the result to be
different substantionally (unfortunatelly I cannot understand alpha assembly, but I see the
code looks different in the beginning. Also assembly file generated by cross-gcc produces
wrong result after translated/linked using native binutils). I assume that binutils are not involved in
"gcc -S" process.

See attached assembly generated by cross compiler vs native compiler.

Bye,
    Oleg