Re: help: use of third party kernel modules: license issue?

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Fri Jun 06 2003 - 19:53:45 EST

On Sad, 2003-06-07 at 00:57, J C wrote:
> How does the Linux GPL license apply to third party, binary modules in
> a case where our custom core kernel code uses proprietary, third
> party, "binary only" module interfaces?

Linux the kernel is subject to the GPL license. The GPL license is
absolutely clear what it applies to, which is any derivative work.

So the question you need to answer is "Is this a derivative work". For
user space its easy and to be clear the kernel explicitly clarifies it
doesn't regard user space as that. For kernel changes its a hard
question and you need to ask someone who studies the issue - thats not
a programmer (we just think we know ;)) but a lawyer.