Alpha hang after 24hrs (2.4.21-rc6)

From: Dan Maas (dmaas@maasdigital.com)
Date: Wed Jun 04 2003 - 23:45:57 EST

I recently upgraded my Alpha EV56 PC164 system from kernel 2.2.25 to
2.4.21-rc6. With the newer kernel the system hangs reliably after
roughly 24 hours of uptime.

Normally I would suspect heat or RAM failure, but the system seems to
work fine with the older kernel.

The symptom is a total lock-up/freeze, nothing is printed to the
console or syslog. I have not tried a serial console yet but that is
my next step.

The system is a stock 1-CPU 500MHz Alpha, 128MB RAM, nothing special,
just two 3c59x ethernet cards and an AIC788x SCSI controller. It
functions as a web server and NAT gateway. Most of the time it is just
idle. The only unusual thing in the 2.4 kernel configuration is that
I'm using the new QoS packet filtering options (for wondershaper).

This machine has served me reliably for years, and I'd hate to see it
go down for good ;). I really do need the new QoS stuff in 2.4 though.

Any ideas? Please CC to me.

Thanks,
Dan