OT: Re: impact of Athlon's slower front-side-bus (FSB)

From: William Gallafent (william.gallafent@virgin.net)
Date: Wed Jun 04 2003 - 12:15:01 EST

On Mon, 2 Jun 2003, Alan Cox wrote:

> On Llu, 2003-06-02 at 14:47, joe briggs wrote:
> > The fastest AMD single processor Athlon XP is 3200 with 400 Mhz FSB.
> > The fastest AMD dual processor Athlon MP is 2800 but with only 266 Mhz FSB.
> >
> > So, for a multimedia application, which platform would be faster? How does
> > the much slower FSB of the dual processor impact its ability to grab and
> > crunch. Does its onboard cache make the slower speed FSB less important?
>
> Its really hard to tell. The 3200 has a bigger cache too if I remember
> rightly.

Yes, 512KB vs 256KB. The top "Barton" MP (2800+?) also has 512KB L2 onboard,
and uses the same core as the top Athlon XPs, but sticks to 266MHz FSB since
this is what's supported by 760MP(X) chipset.
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/26426.PDF

--
Bill Gallafent.