Re: [BUG] ieee1394 sbp2 driver is broken for kernel >= 2.4.21-rc2

From: Matthew Dharm (mdharm-kernel@one-eyed-alien.net)
Date: Tue Jun 03 2003 - 18:01:17 EST

On Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 11:12:34PM +0200, Jocelyn Mayer wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-06-03 at 22:25, Matthew Dharm wrote:
> > I know jumping in the middle of a conversation is bad, but....
> >
> > In conversations with the SBP2 folks, they indicated to me that the way
> > they do hotplugging is very different from the way usb-storage does it.
> > The end result (I'm told) is that invoking a scan from userspace is often
> > needed for SBP2 but never for usb-storage.
> >
> > So, comparing the two is really pointless.
>
> you're right, I just wanted to point that there's no reason
> that we need to register a device etheir by hand or using
> an "infamous script" (citation from Ben Collins
> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=4435485 )
> due to the SCSI stack, but that it's only a SBP2 problem.

Actually, it is/was a SCSI problem. The short version being that it is/was
easier to hotplug an entire HBA rather than an individual device. That is
being changed in 2.5 right now. usb-storage used an HBA-per-device, while
SBP2 uses a single HBA.

Of course, all this is being changed right now in 2.5.x

Matt

--
Matthew Dharm                              Home: mdharm-usb@one-eyed-alien.net

It's monday. It must be monday. -- Greg User Friendly, 5/4/1998