2.4.18 /dev/random problem

From: Philippe Amelant (philippe.amelant@free.fr)
Date: Sat May 31 2003 - 10:40:24 EST

Hi

I have a compaq server with a little problem.
cat /proc/sys/kernel/random/entropy_avail is always 0
so /dev/random block on all read.

I have read some discussion about /dev/random on this list.
and if I understand /dev/urandom rely on /dev/random for providing good
randomness and /dev/random rely on server activity for it's entropy.

But I don't understand why my disk activity doesn't refill the entropy
counter. If I try to mount floppy I get some entropy but even updating
locate db does not provide any entropy ? Should I activate something in
disk driver ?

Thank
--
Philippe Amelant <philippe.amelant@xxxxxxx>