Re: local apic timer ints not working with vmware: nolocalapic

From: Brian J. Murrell (brian@interlinx.bc.ca)
Date: Fri May 30 2003 - 23:44:43 EST

On Fri, 30 May 2003 23:38:16 -0400, Brian J. Murrell wrote:

> I will take another stab at all of this tomorrow to double-verify what I
> am saying here regarding the use of local APIC timer interrupts even if
> the local apic usage flag is set to disable (dont_enable_local_apic = 1).

Just to confirm now, I have modified Zwane's patch add another kernel arg,
[no]locapictimer, which deals with dont_use_local_apic_timer in the same
way his patch deals with the dont_enable_local_apic flag, and indeed, a
kernel booted with "nolapic" does hang in the APIC timer calibration
however a kernel booted with "nolocapictimer" does not.

Is it really valid to go and try to calibrate the APIC timer if it was
disabled by the user, or even DMI?

b.