Re: Undo aic7xxx changes

From: Stephan von Krawczynski (skraw@ithnet.com)
Date: Fri May 30 2003 - 03:54:34 EST

On 30 May 2003 10:21:33 +0200
Arjan van de Ven <arjanv@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > My personal opinion is a known-to-be-broken 2.4.21 should not be released,
> > as a lot of people only try/use the releases and therefore an immediately
> > released 2.4.22-pre1 with justins driver will not be a good solution.
>
> I think you missed the point entirely before. 2.4.21 CANNOT cause
> regressions most of all. At this point there is no way to know if the
> thing that fixes your machine breaks on 100s others that DO work
> correctly in 2.4.20. Even if it would fix 100s and break 1 it's still
> not acceptable for stable kernel releases.

Unfortunately you miss my point (which is probably too simple to be clearly
visible):
I want to give some feedback on a topic/problem I am experiencing since _long_.
I was _asked_ to do so. Additionally I am stating my _opinion_. I am _not_
telling anybody what to do. I am not in a position to do so. Very likely only
_few_ people are in such a position, very likely the maintainer of aic and
hopefully Marcelo.
Have you read all available bug reports Justin got? If you have not, don't play
with numbers.

Another personal opinion: software development tends to make things possible
that "cannot be". ;-)

Regards,
Stephan