Re: siimage driver status

From: lk (lk@trolloc.com)
Date: Thu May 29 2003 - 10:06:42 EST

> I have an Asus A7V8X Deluxe motherboard with a couple of WD Raptor
> hard drives that I'm trying to get to work with linux 2.4.21-rc6. The
> problem I'm having is that it's REALLY slow and crashy. The kernel reports
> this on bootup:

> SiI3112 Serial ATA: IDE controller at PCI slot 01:0b.0

> If I try and enable DMA, the machine instantly hardlocks.
>
> Is there anything I should try, or is the siimage driver just still very
> early on in its development? I would be more than happy to beta- (or
> alpha) test code, or give developers access to my box if testbed platforms
> are needed. Whatever I can do to make it work :)

I have the same problem, and reported it back in 2.4.21-pre-something, but
nobody seemed interested. I have the same problem with onboard chipsets
as with addon PCI cards from various manufacturers. It's absolutely
impossible to enable DMA on the SiI controllers. The "funny" thing is
that I purchased them on a recommendation from someone on lk who glowed
over their robustness.