Re: buffer_head.b_bsize type

From: Stewart Smith (stewartsmith@mac.com)
Date: Thu May 29 2003 - 09:22:17 EST

On Thursday, May 29, 2003, at 09:15 PM, viro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Could we go the other way and make all users of b_size use unsigned?

Who the hell cares? Size of buffer does not exceed the page size.
Unless you can show a platform with 2Gb pages...

I would argue the same that the size of a buffer should never be able to be negative and the structure says this but the rest of the code does not. (Theoretically) if a negative size was asked for, then we'd actually try to allocate a large amount of memory for the buffer, possibly causing badness somewhere along the line.

Any maybe we shouldn't make it too hard for archs with 2GB pages :) It'll probably happen in 20 years. :)