Re: Linux 2.4.21-rc6

From: Riley Williams (Riley@Williams.Name)
Date: Thu May 29 2003 - 00:38:00 EST

Hi Marc.

> I just had mutt > freeze cold on me though for ~15 sec when
> it tried to open my debian-devel mbox (rather large file)
> while brag was beating on the drive.
>
> <whimper>

I used to get the same effect when I asked pine to open the
Linux-Kernel mailbox on my system. I long since cured that by
having procmail split Linux-Kernel mail into multiple mailboxes,
one for each calendar week.

The basic problem there is that any mail client needs to know
just how many messages are in a particular folder to handle that
folder, and the only way to do this is to count them all. That's
what takes the time when one opens a large folder.

Best wishes from Riley.
---
* Nothing as pretty as a smile, nothing as ugly as a frown.

---