Re: [patch] Inline vm_acct_memory

From: Ravikiran G Thirumalai (kiran@in.ibm.com)
Date: Wed May 28 2003 - 23:34:59 EST

On Wed, May 28, 2003 at 07:23:30PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> Maybe I'm wrong. kernbench is not some silly tight-loop microbenchmark.
> It is a "real" workload: gcc.
>
> The thing about pagetable setup and teardown is that it tends to be called
> in big lumps: for a while the process is establishing thousands of pages
> and then later it is tearing down thousands. So the cache-thrashing impact
> of having those eighteen instances sprinkled around the place is less
> than it would be if they were all being called randomly. If you can believe
> such waffle.
>
> Kiran, do you still have the raw data available? profiles and runtimes?

Yeah I kinda overlooked vm_unacct_memory 'til I wondered why I had put
the inlines in the header file earlier :). But I do have the profiles
and checking on all calls to vm_unacct_memory, I find there is no
regression at significant callsites.
I can provide the detailed profile if required,
but here is the summary for 4 runs of kernbench -- nos against routines
are profile ticks (oprofile) for 4 runs.

Vanilla
-------
vm_enough_memory 786 778 780 735
vm_acct_memory 870 952 884 898