2.5.70 explodes when connecting to SBP2 (firewire) storage

From: Torrey Hoffman (thoffman@arnor.net)
Date: Wed May 28 2003 - 14:25:36 EST

This actually started happening sometime late in the 2.5.69-bk series, I
haven't tracked down exactly which bk snapshot introduced the problem.

Shortly after attempting to log into an SBP2 device, the system locks up
and a very very long trace dumps on the screen. It pauses for a while
and then dumps more stack trace.

This happens either if SBP2 and firewire are compiled into the kernel or
as modules. It does not happen if there is no firewire drive attached,
or the drive is powered down. But in that case, plugging in or powering
up the drive after boot will trigger the crash as well.

The system is a boring, ordinary Pentium III, non-SMP, non-preempt, most
kernel debugging options turned on.

Nothing useful is saved in the system log. The last logged lines from my
attempt to boot 2.5.70-bk2 are:

May 28 11:26:00 torrey /sbin/hotplug: no runnable
/etc/hotplug/scsi_host.agent is installed
May 28 11:26:00 torrey /etc/hotplug/ieee1394.agent: ... no drivers for
IEEE1394 product 0x000000/0x00609e/0x010483
May 28 11:26:00 torrey kernel: scsi0 : SCSI emulation for IEEE-1394
SBP-2 Devices
May 28 11:26:00 torrey kernel: ieee1394: sbp2: Logged into SBP-2 device

(kaboom! and then I reboot. )

Sorry I don't have a decoded oops. I'll have to set up a serial console
I guess.

--
Torrey Hoffman <thoffman@xxxxxxxxx>