Re: Changing SEMVMX to a tunable parameter

From: Manfred Spraul (manfred@colorfullife.com)
Date: Wed May 28 2003 - 11:19:27 EST

Arvind Kandhare wrote:

>>How?
> > SEMVMX is right now 32k, because the value is stored in an signed
> > short,
> > both internally and in the SuSv2 ABI.

semval is a part of struct sem and it is an integer as of now (2.5.69).
That is, it doesn't comply with SuS v3 as far as data type is concerned.

SuS v3 specifies semval to be an unsigned short.i.e. we can have a maximum of 64K on this.

Ok, thus you want to increase it from 32k to 64k, but not beyond, correct?
You'd have to check that there are no hidden signed/unsigned assumptions in ipc/sem.c

Irrespective of the maximum value, an option to tune this limit would be
highly desirable.

_If_ there are no signed/unsigned problems and if Oracle wants 64K, then I would increase SEMVMX to 64K, without making it tunable. Dito for SEMAEM.

--
Manfred